Grilled Biftekia Stuffed with Cheese
Make sure to seal the edges of the biftekia well once you have folded them over in order to avoid having the melted stuffing leaking out into your barbecue.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 lbs. ground lamb
- 2 medium onions, peeled and grated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. feta cheese
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- In large bowl, use hands to combine ground lamb, onion, eggs, breadcrumbs, oregano, thyme, pepper, and olive oil into a single cohesive mass.
- Take tennis ball-sized piece of meat mixture; roll between palms to form smooth, compact ball.
- Spread piece of parchment paper over cutting board; flatten meat ball into thin patty, about ¼" thick or so. Try to ensure a uniform thickness.
- Place a piece of cheese and a few teaspoons parsley on one side of flattened meat patty. Be sure to leave space around edges of cheese to ensure you can pinch meat closed around cheese. Take up further edge of parchment paper; bring up and toward you to fold meat patty over cheese. Pinch overlapping edges of meat together well; use parchment paper to form patty around cheese. Repeat.
- Brush or spray outside of each patty with a little olive oil before placing over medium-high heat. Grill about 6–7 minutes on each side, or until done.