Grilled Cherrystone Clams Piquant
You can use either cherrystones or littlenecks for this dish—double the quantity of littlenecks. The topping should be made before you grill the clams.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 24 cherrystone clams
- 8 slices bacon
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ¾ cup onion, chopped fine
- ½ cup sweet red pepper, chopped fine
- ½ cup Italian flat-leaf parsley, rinsed, dried, and minced
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. orange juice concentrate
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ cup fine breadcrumbs
- 4 Tbsp. butter (½ stick), cut into pieces
- Scrub and tap clams. Using a clam knife, open the clams. Discard the top shells. Save all the juices. Set the clams on a metal tray.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until almost crisp and set aside on paper towels.
- Wipe out the skillet after cooking the bacon and add 4 tablespoons butter. Add the onion and pepper. Sauté for 6–8 minutes or until soft.
- Crumble the cooked bacon into the skillet and mix in the parsley, black pepper, orange juice concentrate, lemon juice, and breadcrumbs. Mix them up and remove from heat.
- Put a teaspoon of filling on each clam. Add any residual clam juice. Dot with butter.
- Preheat the grill to medium. Place the metal tray with the clams on it on the grill and close the lid.
- Roast until the clams are just beginning to bubble and the topping is golden—about 10 minutes depending on the heat of the grill. Serve.