Grilled Chicken Shawarma Salad
The complex flavors of the Middle East are simple to enjoy when pairing this marinade with chicken, summer squash, peppers and onions. Add pita bread and a few olives for a simply delicious meal.
Serves: 4Prep: 10 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 lb.), cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup Private Selection™ Middle Eastern Inspired Shawarma Marinade
- Vegetable oil
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into ½” diagonal slices
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1” strips
- 4 slices red onion, cut ¼” thick
- 1 lemon cut lengthwise into 4 wedges
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Kroger® Ground Cumin Seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups Romaine lettuce, cut or torn into 1” pieces
- Additional Private Selection™ Middle Eastern Inspired Shawarma Marinade
- In gallon size resealable bag, coat chicken pieces in the ¼ cup marinade. Seal bag; refrigerate at least 30 minutes but no longer than 24 hours.
- Heat grill for direct heat. Brush grill with vegetable oil. Place chicken, zucchini, pepper, onion and lemon on grill rack. Cover and grill over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until thermometer inserted in center of chicken is 165°F and vegetables are tender. (Remove vegetables from grill and keep warm if they cook faster than chicken.)
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together yogurt, mint, cumin, salt and pepper. In large bowl, toss yogurt mixture with romaine. Divide among 4 dinner plates.
- Slice chicken into ¼” slices. Divide chicken and vegetables over romaine. Garnish with grilled lemon wedge and additional marinade.