Grilled Chicken Skewers
Dark meat chicken is essential in this recipe, or you can use a fattier cut of pork like pork butt or shoulder. If you do use pork, be sure to slice it thinly so it will cook quickly over an open flame.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 3 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 Tbsp. light soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. cilantro stems
- 1 fresh, crushed black peppercorn
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp. chopped coriander
- 1 small lime, cut in wedges
- Slice chicken into ⅛"-thick, 2" × 4" pieces. Marinate with soy sauce, sugar, salt, vegetable oil, cilantro stems, turmeric, black peppercorn, and garlic for at least 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Soak 8 bamboo skewers in water for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, mix together lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, crushed red pepper, shallot and coriander. Set aside.
- Thread chicken pieces on the skewers and grill over charcoal, gas grill, or grill pan over stovetop. Remove from heat and serve with the sauce and lime wedges