Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
If you can’t find flank steak, ask for 1⁄2-inch cuts of a bottom round roast. If neither are available, look for a piece of beef that is no more than 3⁄4 inch thick and pound it slightly before cooking.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. flank steak, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 1⁄8 tsp. salt, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cups packed parsley leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and quartered
- 1 scallion, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Place a grill pan over high heat. Season the steak with 1⁄8 teaspoon salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper on both sides. Brush vegetable oil across the surface of the pan once it is heated.
- Place the steak in the pan and cook for 4 minutes. Turn it and cook for 4 minutes for medium-rare, 5 minutes for medium, and 6 minutes for medium-well. Place the steak on a cutting board, tent with foil, and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Place the parsley in a food processor or blender and pulse several times. Scrape down the sides and add the garlic, scallion, and vinegars. Pulse a few times. Add in 1 teaspoon salt, 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, paprika, and crushed red pepper and pulse until smooth. While the food processor runs, slowly add the olive oil to create an emulsion.
- Cut the steak diagonally against the grain into 1⁄2-inch slices. Serve with the sauce.