Grilled Florida-Style Calzones
Kids love these if they aren’t too highly spiced. You can also substitute barbecued pork or beef.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. pizza dough
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce, washed and shredded
- 1⁄2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- Spread the cornmeal on a rolling board and roll out 2 rounds of dough about 10 inches in diameter.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat.
- Spread sauce on the chicken breasts and barbecue over indirect heat until done, about 5 minutes on each side (depending on the heat of the grill).
- Place the chicken on a platter and cut it in pieces. Add extra barbecue sauce. Divide the chicken between the rounds of dough, mounding it on the bottom half of each calzone. Add the onion, lettuce, and tomatoes. Fold the tops of the calzones over the filled halves and crimp shut.
- Grill calzones on a pizza stone until they are brown and crispy.