Grilled Gruyere and Egg Sandwiches
Transform an ordinary egg-and-cheese sandwich into a gourmet breakfast with a few simple ingredient swaps.
Serves: 4Prep: 5 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 slices thick sourdough bread
- 8 ounces Gruyère cheese, sliced
- 3 tablespoons Simple Truth Organic™ Salted Butter, softened, divided
- 4 large Simple Truth Organic™ Cage Free Grade A Large Brown Eggs
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, melt butter (1 teaspoon per egg) until it starts to bubble. Crack eggs directly into pan, being careful not to break yolks. Sprinkle eggs with a little salt, add a teaspoon or two of water (per batch) to the pan and cover. Cook as desired (3 minutes for soft eggs, 4-5 minutes for firm). If necessary, work in batches, wiping out skillet in between each batch and adding more butter and water if necessary.
- To make sandwiches: Divide cheese among half of the bread slices and top with an individual fried egg.
- Butter the outside of the bread and place sandwiches on a cookie sheet and cook until golden brown. Flip sandwiches and cook for a little while longer until golden brown and cheese has melted.