Grilled Halloumi Sandwiches
Place pita bread in a microwave for 30 seconds to puff it up and help make a pocket.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- 1⁄8 tsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tsp. pepper
- 8 slices (1⁄4 inch thick) halloumi cheese
- 4 medium Middle Eastern–style pita breads (pocket), warmed with the pocket open
- 1⁄2 cup baby spinach, washed and dried
- 1⁄4 cup sliced red or green peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
- 1⁄2 cup sliced pickled red onions
- Put the oil, mustard, lemon juice, honey, mint, oregano, and pepper into a jar with a lid. Close the jar and shake it vigorously until the ingredients are well incorporated. Adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper, if necessary. Reserve.
- Preheat the gas or charcoal grill to medium-high. Place the cheese slices on the grill and cook for 1 to 1 1⁄2 minutes per side. The cheese should be soft, but still intact.
- For each sandwich, insert two slices of halloumi into each pita. Stuff the pocket with the baby spinach, peppers, and chopped olives. Top the sandwiches with the pickled red onions and a spoonful of the dressing.