Grilled Mediterranean Vegetable Calzones
The veggies in this recipe can be varied greatly and you can substitute the cheeses for others that you might like better.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. pizza dough
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced thinly
- 1 roasted red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 8 mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- Spread the cornmeal on a rolling board and roll out 4 rounds of dough about 6 inches in diameter.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and add the vegetables, herbs, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt to taste. Sauté for five minutes, leaving the vegetables crisp.
- Spread the vegetables on the bottom half of each calzone. Close and crimp shut.
- Heat grill to high.
- Bake calzones on a heavy baking sheet or pizza stone in a covered grill for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown and very hot.