Grilled Onions with Balsamic Glaze
You'll need long, metal skewers for this recipe. You could also place onion slices directly on the grill and turn with tongs.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large sweet onions, peeled and cut into thick rings
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup good-quality balsamic vinegar
- In a saucepan over medium heat, simmer the balsamic vinegar until it has cooked down to syrup.
- Run a long metal skewer through each onion from edge to edge; brush with olive oil and season wit salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill or stovetop grill pan to a low heat. Place skewers on the grill; cook slowly without moving them until dark grill marks appear, about 15 minutes, turning once about halfway through. Grill until the second side is well marked and juices begin to pool on the top, another 10 minutes. Brush with balsamic syrup 5 minutes before removing from the grill. Serve with remaining syrup.