Grilled Panzanella and Romaine Salad
Panzanella—a Tuscan-style bread-and-tomato salad—meets Caesar salad in this grilled mash-up of two Italian favorites.
Serves: 6Prep: 15 minutesCook: 5 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup Kroger® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1⁄2 loaf (about 7 oz.) sourdough bread, cut in half
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cut in half the long way
- 4 tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 1⁄4 cup shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons niçoise olives, sliced
- Coat grill grate with cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium heat.
- To make dressing: in a bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Brush a small portion of it over cut sides of bread, romaine and tomatoes. Place bread on grill; grill 2 minutes. Add romaine and tomatoes; grill 1-2 minutes longer until just browned and starting to soften.
- Cut bread into cubes. Chop lettuce and tomatoes. Place in salad bowl. Add cheese, basil, parsley, olives and remaining dressing. Toss gently to mix. Serve immediately.