Grilled Philly Steak Sandwiches
High-quality white American cheese melts beautifully with this recipe. As a variation, you can make a Vermont cheese steak with sliced apples and sharp cheddar cheese.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. boneless top sirloin steak
- 4 oz. white American cheese, shredded or sliced
- 4 hero rolls (6 inches), split
- Preheat the grill. Grease a grill basket.
- Toss the peppers and onions with the oil. Add to the grill basket and grill until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper. Grill the steak on one side for about 4 minutes; then turn and grill on second side for another 5 minutes, or until cooked to desired doneness. Move the steak to a warm plate and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice into thin slices.
- Put the rolls on the grill for 2 minutes to toast. Remove from grill and assemble sandwiches, by dividing steak, peppers, onions, and cheese between the rolls. Return to the grill, cover, cook 2 minutes until the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.