Grilled Sesame Ginger Watermelon Steak Salad
The flavors in this recipe are inspired by grilled Ahi tuna salad, but it features watermelon as a great visual and flavor stand-in for the fish.
Serves: 4Prep: 25 minutesCook: 12 minutesTotal: 37 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄3 cup Seasoned Rice Vinegar
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 mini seedless watermelon, peeled, cut into 1” thick rectangular steaks and patted dry
- 1 small head napa cabbage, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1⁄2 English cucumber, julienned
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced on a bias
- 2 ripe avocados, diced
- 1⁄2 cup Wasabi Seasoned Almonds, roughly chopped
- To make the marinade and dressing, whisk together rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, canola oil, sesame oil and garlic.
- Heat grill to 400°F. Brush watermelon pieces with ¼ cup marinade mixture. Grill watermelon 12-15 minutes, flipping once until it has grill marks and is heated through. Tip: For even better grill marks, try leaving the watermelon steaks uncovered in the refrigerator overnight to dry the outside layer before brushing with marinade and grilling.
- Meanwhile, toss together cabbage, cucumber, carrot, green onion and avocado with reserved dressing.
- Serve salad topped with grilled watermelon steak and sprinkle with wasabi almonds.
- Refrigerate leftovers.