Grilled Turmeric Chicken
This easy and delicious grilled chicken is influenced by southern cuisine using a few dried spices to marinate the chicken.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 4 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro stems
- 10 white peppercorns
- 2 tsp. whole coriander seeds
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into long strips
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp. oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp. ground turmeric
- 2 Tbsp. palm sugar, melted with 1 Tbsp. water in a microwave or on the stove
- Bamboo skewers, soaked for 1 hour to prevent burning
- Make a paste using a mortar and pestle combining cilantro stems, white peppercorns, coriander seeds, garlic, and salt. Pound until smooth.
- Combine chicken with the paste, fish sauce, oyster sauce, turmeric, and sugar. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Thread the chicken pieces onto bamboo skewers. Grill the chicken over a medium flame, turning after 1 minute. Turn the chicken again after 1 more minute. Turn the pieces again if the chicken is still raw on the outside. Flip a few times until thoroughly cooked through and slightly charred, about 3–4 minutes total.