Grilled Vegetable Casserole
This is a great do-ahead recipe—bake partially the day before, then reheat and cook through when ready to serve.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 can (15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut lengthwise into 3⁄4-inch slices
- 3 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1⁄2-inch slices
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 4 planks
- 1 mediumyellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 4 planks
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Simmer on low heat until thickened, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add basil, salt, and pepper; set aside.
- Prepare a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill to high. Make sure the grill grate is clean and lightly oiled to prevent sticking
- Brush eggplant and zucchini with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and place them on the grill. Add pepper planks to the grill, skin side down. Cook peppers until skin is charred, then remove them from the grill and peel off skin. Return peppers to the grill, cover, and cook for about 8 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender. Remove eggplant, zucchini, and peppers from the grill and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly oil a 2-quart shallow baking dish. Spread a thin layer of reserved tomato sauce in the bottom of the dish. Layer vegetables, in any order, top with half of mozzarella, then remaining tomato sauce, ending with a layer of vegetables. Top with Parmesan and remaining mozzarella.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the juices are bubbling and the top is golden brown. Let stand for at least 5 minutes before serving.