Grilled Whole Fish
One of the finest dining experiences in the Mediterranean region is to eat a whole grilled fish as you sit by the sea. As any good fishmonger will tell you, the best fish is the freshest fish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 whole red snapper (½ lb. each), cleaned, gutted, and scaled
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 large lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Rinse the fish and pat them dry with a paper towel. Rub the fish on both sides with the olive oil. Then sprinkle both sides and the cavity with the salt and pepper. Refrigerate the fish for 30 minutes and then return them to room temperature. Fill the cavity of each fish with equal amounts of the lemon slices and herbs.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high. Brush the grill surface to make sure it is thoroughly clean. When the grill is ready, dip a clean tea towel in the vegetable oil and wipe the grill surface with the oil.
- Place the fish on the grill and grill for 5–6 minutes per side. Serve immediately.