Guinness® Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potatoes
A touch of malty-flavor from the beer is the perfect complement to the sweet potato topping in this twist on classic comfort food.
Serves: 6Prep: 40 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1⁄2 pound russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1⁄4 cup half and half
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 1⁄2 pounds beef or lamb
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 1 cup Guinness® Beer
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon plus ½ tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon plus ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 400°F. Butter or spray a 2-quart casserole dish; set aside.
- In a 3-quart pan boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and mash with ¼ cup of butter, half and half, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon butter, onions and carrots; cook 6-8 minutes until softened. Increase heat to medium-high; add meat and garlic. Cook, breaking apart the meat, until browned and internal temperature reaches 165°F. Add tomato paste, thyme and beer; cook 3-4 minutes to reduce beer. Add peas, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper; adjust seasoning to taste.
- Transfer meat mixture into prepared pan. Top with mashed sweet potatoes, covering completely. Drag the tines of a fork across the surface of the potatoes to slightly rough up the surface. Bake 30-35 minutes until bubbling and potatoes start to brown. Allow to stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers.