Hachis Parmentier (Shepherd’s Pie)
This French version of shepherd’s pie is the best way to recycle beef leftovers. Serve with a simple salad of lettuce and vinaigrette.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. braised beef, coarsely ground
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 oz. butter, diced, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 oz. grated cheese (Gruyère or mozzarella)
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions for 2 minutes. Add ground meat and stock and stir well. Cook for 15 minutes over low heat. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Fill a large saucepan with water, add 3 teaspoons salt, and boil potatoes for 20 minutes. Drain potatoes and transfer to a large bowl. Mash potatoes with diced butter, then pour in milk slowly, stirring steadily until smooth. Stir in pepper and remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread half of the mashed potatoes in a large casserole dish, then spread meat mixture on top. Cover meat layer with the remaining mashed potatoes. Sprinkle cheese over casserole and bake for 45 minutes. Serve warm.