Hachis Parmentier (Shepherd’s Pie)
This French version of shepherd’s pie is the best way to recycle beef leftovers. Serve with a simple salad of lettuce and vinaigrette.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled
- 1½ lbs. braised beef
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 oz. butter, diced, at room temperature
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 oz. grated cheese (Gruyère or mozzarella)
- Fill a large saucepan with water, add a tablespoon of kosher salt, and boil the potatoes for 20 minutes. Grind the beef, and reserve.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add oil, and cook the sliced onions for 2 minutes, stirring well. Add the ground meat and stir well. Pour in the beef stock, stir well again, and cook for 15 minutes over low heat. Remove from heat and reserve.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. When the potatoes are boiled, drain them and mash them in a medium bowl. Mash the diced butter with the potatoes, then pour in the milk slowly, stirring steadily until you get a smooth texture. Add the salt and the pepper, and stir again.
- Spread half of the mashed potatoes in a large casserole dish. Then spread the meat on top. Finally, spread the rest of the mashed potatoes on the meat. Sprinkle grated cheese all over, and cook for 45 minutes.
- Serve warm.