Halloween Candy Cake
This Halloween Candy Cake is perfect for a Halloween party. Make it from scratch with the recipe below, or use a store-bought boxed mix and simply assemble. To save even more time, order a chocolate cake from the bakery and top it with MARS® Candy Bars for a decorated dessert that looks and tastes homemade.
Serves: 8Prep: 15 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour, sifted
- 1 3⁄4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, plus a pinch
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature (or substitute with 1 cup milk)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 cup hot coffee (or substitute with 1 cup boiling water)
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream, room temperature
- M&M’S® White Pumpkin Pie candies
- SNICKERS®, TWIX®, 3 MUSKETEERS® and MILKY WAY® Fun Size Candy Bars
- Drizzle of chocolate syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease and cocoa powder two 9” cake pans.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together sugar, flour, ¾ cup cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and ½ tsp. salt, then mix together with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, oil and 2 tsp. vanilla extract.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients 1 cup at a time and mix on medium-low. Once wet ingredients have been incorporated, mix on medium for two minutes.
- Stir in hot coffee last. Batter will be thin.
- Pour batter evenly into the two prepared cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow cakes to cool for 20-30 minutes in pans, then invert onto a wire rack to continue cooling.
- To make icing, beat together butter and remaining vanilla in stand mixer or using handheld mixer on medium-high until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together powdered sugar, 1 cup cocoa powder, and pinch of salt with a whisk. Add dry ingredients to the butter one cup at a time and mix. With the mixer on medium-low, slowly add the heavy cream. Once the heavy cream is incorporated, mix on medium for 2 minutes. Frosting will darken as it sets.
- To assemble cake, smooth a dollop of frosting onto cake stand, then place the first cake layer on stand with the bottom side down. Coat top of the cake generously with frosting, allowing a bit of frosting to overhang the edges.
- Add second cake layer with bottom side up and push down until even. Generously frost the top, then sides, of the cake.
- Decorate top of the cake with chopped and whole SNICKERS®, TWIX®, 3 MUSKETEERS® and MILKY WAY® Fun Size Candy Bars as well as M&M’S® White Pumpkin Pie candies.
- Drizzle cake lightly with chocolate syrup.