Halloween Night Butternut Squash and Beef Stew
Serve your family this Halloween-inspired beef stew. It’s warm, tender and guaranteed to fill you up before a night of trick-or-treating.
Serves: 5Prep: 40 minutesCook: 3 hours 30 minutesTotal: 4 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 2” cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- 8 cups beef stock
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 container (11 oz.) butternut squash, cubed
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2” pieces
- 1 bag (1.5 lb.) Private Selection™ Petite Red Potatoes, large potatoes halved
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the oil. Season the beef with salt and pepper, then add to the hot pan. Sauté the meat until well-browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer the beef to a plate and discard the oil from the pan.
- Place the Dutch oven back on the stove and melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until tender. Add the garlic, beef and sprinkle with ¼ cup flour. Cook until lightly toasted.
- Add the broth, rosemary and thyme. Cover and cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes at a low simmer. Add the butternut squash, carrots and potatoes. Cover and cook for 2-3 hours, until the vegetables are tender. Remove the herbs.
- In a small jar, shake together cold water and 2 tablespoons flour. Gradually stir into the beef mixture. Heat to boiling, while stirring constantly for 1 minute, until thickened. Serve and refrigerate leftovers.