Ham & Cheese Black Pepper Biscuits
Black pepper adds a nice bite to flaky biscuits loaded with thin sliced ham and sharp cheddar cheese.
Serves: 6Prep: 20 minutesCook: 25 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces, plus 2 Tbsp. melted butter, divided
- 1 cup Kroger® Buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 12 ounces smoked ham, thin sliced
- 4 1⁄2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
- Heat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and pepper. Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk, stirring with a fork until just combined.
- Turn dough out on floured surface; knead a few times before patting into an 8”x5” rectangle. Cut into 6 biscuits.
- Transfer to a baking sheet; brush tops with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Bake 12-14 minutes until bottoms are golden brown. Brush tops with remaining butter. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Split biscuits open, spread about ½ tsp Dijon mustard on the bottoms. Top with about 2 ounces of ham and ¾ ounce cheese, and biscuit tops. Serve as is or return to the oven for 5-8 minutes to heat through.
- Refrigerate leftovers.