Ham and Cheese Cornbread
Save to My Recipes
The Cheddar cheese can be replaced with Swiss or pepper jack cheese. You can either use chopped cooked ham or thinly sliced boiled ham.
Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- 1 package (10-oz.) cornbread mix
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ lb. cooked ham, diced
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8" x 8" square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and chili powder and sauté until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a large bowl, and cool slightly.
- Add cornbread mix, egg, milk, ham, and cheese to onion mixture. Spread evenly over the bottom of the pan and top with ham.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean but cornbread is still moist.