Ham and Cheese Cornbread
The Cheddar cheese can be replaced with Swiss or pepper jack cheese. You can either use chopped cooked ham or thinly sliced boiled ham.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1⁄4 tsp. chili powder
- 1 package (10-oz.) cornbread mix
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 lb. cooked ham, diced
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and chili powder and sauté until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a large bowl, and cool slightly.
- Add cornbread mix, egg, milk, ham, and cheese to onion mixture. Spread evenly over the bottom of the pan and top with ham.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean but cornbread is still moist.