Ham and Corn Fritters
These fluffy fritters are a great way to use leftover ham. Serve these fritters with beans or a hearty vegetable soup.
Serves: 15Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, defrosted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped scallions, whites only
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped ham
- Heat oil to 375°F in a deep fryer or deep, heavy skillet.
- In a large bowl, lightly whisk eggs; stir in milk and corn. Stir in flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt, stirring just until moistened. Fold in scallions and ham.
- Using 2 tablespoons, drop scant tablespoons of batter into hot oil; fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Check the first few to make sure centers are cooked thoroughly and adjust size if necessary.