Ham and Potato Casserole
Make a creamy sauce and bake it with ham and potatoes for a comforting, homey casserole that is perfect on a cold winter’s night.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups peeled and sliced Russet potatoes
- 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 3 cups chopped cooked ham
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a large casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Place potatoes in a large bowl and cover with cold water.
- In large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter with olive oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add flour, salt, and pepper; cook and stir until bubbly. Add milk; cook and stir until thickened. Remove from heat and add Cheddar cheese, stir until melted. Fold in ham and eggs. Drain potatoes. Pour ham mixture over potatoes in bowl. Stir gently to combine. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and 2 tablespoons melted butter; sprinkle over casserole. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 1 hour, or until potatoes are cooked and top is a rich golden brown. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.