Save to My Recipes
The all-American backyard barbeque is taken to new heights with these homemade buns. You’ll be the envy of the block party.
Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 3 hours 25 minutes
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1¾ tsp. active dry yeast (1 package)
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp. plus ⅛ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, combine water, sugar, and yeast. Stir to dissolve and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 egg, butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and enough bread flour to create a firm dough. Add flour only to reduce stickiness. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 8–10 minutes. Return to bowl, dust the top with flour, and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap. Rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
- Line two baking pans with parchment. Turn risen dough onto a floured surface. Shape into a rope, about 2" thick. Slice 3" pieces off the rope, then roll each into a tight ball. Place on prepared pan, dust with flour, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and proof for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix remaining egg with remaining salt and brush lightly across proofed rolls. Top with sesame seeds and bake until golden brown, about 15–20 minutes. Cool completely.