Harissa is a Tunisian hot sauce that is used throughout North African cooking. Extra spices give it a great flavor that is much more than simply spicy. Harissa adds a welcome boost to cooked lentils, beans, and soups.
Makes: ¼ cupHands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Makes: ¼ cup
- 2 oz. dried hot red chili peppers (about 15-20), stems and seeds removed
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp. ground caraway
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. minced fresh cilantro
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Soak the chili peppers in hot water for 15 minutes, or until they are nice and soft.
- Drain the peppers, then combine with garlic, spices, and salt in a food processor.
- Blend the ingredients, adding 1 tablespoon olive oil to make a paste.
- Pour into a clean glass jar and cover with remaining oil. Refrigerated, it will keep for a few weeks.