Hawaiian Fresh Ham Roasted with Pineapple and Rum
Fresh ham is basically leg of pork. It is a tender white meat and a great fall or winter dish.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 3 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 cup rum
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. cloves, ground
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- 6 lbs. fresh ham with some fat (about 1⁄4 inch)
- 1⁄4 cup whole cloves
- 1 large pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into diamond-shaped chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat pineapple juice over high heat in a small saucepan until reduced to 1 cup. Add rum, brown sugar, cloves, salt, and hot sauce.
- Score the fat left on the ham with a sharp knife and place ham in a roasting pan. At each cross in the fat, insert a clove. Baste with pineapple syrup. Roast and baste often for 3 hours. If the bottom of the pan starts to burn, add water.
- Arrange the pineapple pieces over the top of the ham for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Serve with the pan drippings on the side.