Hazelnut Crab Cakes
Ground hazelnuts give these crab cakes a wonderful texture.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup ground hazelnuts, divided
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp. sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 cans (6 oz.) crabmeat, drained
- 1⁄4 cup sliced scallions, green part only
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium lemons, cut into wedges
- In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until very tender, about 7 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat and scrape mixture into a large bowl. Do not wipe out skillet.
- Stir ground hazelnuts and breadcrumbs to the onion mixture. Add eggs, sour cream, Dijon mustard, Old Bay, salt, and pepper and mix well. Fold in crabmeat. Cover with plastic wrap and chill mixture for 3 hours.
- Using your hands, form the mixture into 8 patties.
- Using the same skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Sauté crab cakes for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, turning once, until well-browned and cooked throughout. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.