Healthier Shepherd’s Pie
This version of shepherd’s pie uses lean ground beef instead of the traditional (and fattier) ground lamb. The cheese and sour cream in the mashed potatoes help the potato crust to crisp and turn golden in the oven.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. 93% lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram leaves
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen peas and carrots
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen green beans
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the ground beef with the onion and garlic until the beef is browned and the onion and garlic are soft, about 15 minutes. Drain the fat, then return the pan to the heat. Add the flour, marjoram, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes, then add Worcestershire sauce, beef broth, chili sauce, and ketchup.
- Simmer the beef mixture for 10 minutes, then add the frozen vegetables and stir gently to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes with the sour cream and Cheddar cheese. Spread the potato mixture evenly over the meat mixture with a rubber spatula.
- Bake until casserole bubbles and potatoes brown and crisp, about 35 to 40 minutes.