Healthy Chicken Stock
Buy whole chickens and bone-in chicken breasts and freeze the bones and skin after you’ve cooked the meat. When you have enough, make this recipe. The stock can be frozen in 1-cup portions.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 12 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. chicken bones
- 2 medium onions, peeled
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tsp. dried basil leaves
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 10 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Place chicken bones in 6- to 7-quart slow cooker. Chop one onion and add to slow cooker; cut one onion in half. Push the whole cloves into one onion half and add to slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 12 hours or until stock tastes rich. Strain into large bowl, pressing on ingredients to remove as much juice as possible. Refrigerate stock overnight. In the morning, discard the fat.