Healthy Clam Chowder
This version of clam chowder doesn’t have any cream in it, which can dilute the flavor of the clams. If you prefer a traditional creamy chowder, stir in 1 cup of heavy cream just before removing it from the heat.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 cups shelled clams
- 3 cups clam juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- Place a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, bacon, clams, fish stock, bay leaf, and thyme. Boil before covering the pan and reducing the heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the celery and continue cooking on low for 30 minutes. Add the potato and garlic and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Taste before adding salt and pepper. Serve while warm with a sprinkle of parsley on top.