Healthy “Creamed” Spinach
This spinach recipe has all the texture of creamed spinach without the extra calories from full-fat dairy products like cream or cheese.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. fresh spinach
- ½ cup chicken broth, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- ½ tsp. salt
- Juice from 1 large lemon
- Steam spinach in a double boiler until completely wilted, about 3 minutes. Allow to cool and then squeeze out excess moisture.
- Add 1 tablespoon broth to a medium skillet over medium heat; cook the garlic and onion until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Put cooked spinach, garlic, and onion in a food processor with remaining broth, salt, and lemon juice. Process until smooth.