Healthy Fish and Chips
This healthy, salt-free version of the beloved coastal dinner is baked rather than fried. Choose your favorite white-fleshed fish, such as haddock, pollock, or cod. Serve with lemon wedges, malt vinegar, and salt-free ketchup.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. white whole-wheat flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups salt-free bread crumbs
- 1 lb. white-fleshed fish cut into 4 fillets
- 2 large potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cover a large baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- Measure the flours into a wide shallow bowl Add black pepper and whisk to combine. Place the egg whites into a second shallow bowl. Place bread crumbs in a large plastic bag.
- Cut the fish fillets in half, yielding 8 pieces total. Dredge each fillet completely in the flour, then dip in egg, coating completely. Place the moistened fillet into the plastic bag, seal, and shake gently to coat. Once the fillet is totally coated, carefully remove from bag and place on the baking sheet. Repeat process until all pieces are battered. Place the tray of fish in the refrigerator.
- Place a piece of parchment on a baking sheet. Cut each potato into wedges. Arrange the wedges on the baking sheet and brush both sides lightly with oil.
- Place baking sheet on the middle rack in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and flip potatoes over. Return to middle rack in oven.
- Remove the fish from the fridge and place on the top rack in the oven. Bake potatoes and fish for 15 minutes, until both are crispy and brown. Remove from oven and serve immediately.