Healthy Homemade Granola
Mix your own nuts or buy a commercial bag of mixed nuts. Almonds, walnuts, and pine nuts work well with this recipe. Choose your favorite dried fruits as well. Apples, pears, cherries, apricots, and raisins are all good choices.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄3 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup safflower oil
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3 cups mixed nuts
- 2 cups mixed dried fruits, diced
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Combine oats, coconut, sesame seeds, and wheat germ in a large non-plastic bowl.
- Warm the oil and honey in a medium saucepan until bubbly. Pour the liquid over the oat mixture and stir to coat. Stir in nuts.
- Spread the entire mixture in shallow baking pans with sides. Bake for 25 minutes or until granola turns a golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Stir in the dried fruits. Store in an airtight container.