Healthy and Rich Lasagna
Using leaner meats and low-fat dairy products helps reduce the fat in this flavorful and still rich-tasting lasagna.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ lb. sweet Italian sausage
- ½ lb. 85% lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup diced portabella mushrooms
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- ¼ cup minced fresh basil
- ½ tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 12 whole-wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 container (15 oz.) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 package (3 oz.) nonfat cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, drained
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In large saucepan, combine sausage and ground beef; brown over medium heat, stirring to break up meat. Drain well, remove meat from pan, and drain on paper towels; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, add onions, garlic, carrot, and mushrooms to saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until vegetables are tender and liquid evaporates. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, Italian seasoning, pepper, and meat to saucepan and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cook lasagna noodles as directed on package until al dente. While noodles are cooking, in medium bowl combine ricotta, cream cheese, and egg and mix well. Stir in spinach, nutmeg, and 2 cups of mozzarella cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9" x 13" baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place a spoonful of tomato mixture in bottom of pan; top with ⅓ of the noodles and ⅓ of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with ⅓ of the meat mixture, then repeat layers, ending with sauce. Sprinkle with remainder of the mozzarella and the grated Parmesan cheese. Bake for 45–55 minutes or until lasagna bubbles and cheese melts and browns.