Healthy Vegetable Borscht
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 lb. fresh beets, cut into julienne strips (about 5 cups)
- 3 stalks celery, cut lengthwise into julienne strips (1½" long)
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- 1 medium turnip, grated
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat the butter in a medium (4-quart) saucepan to bubbling. Add the beets, celery, carrots, turnip, onion, and garlic. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour in the stock and add the tomato paste, and vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables, especially the beets, are fork tender—about 30 minutes over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally. Add salt and black pepper. Spoon the hot soup into heated bowls.