Heart Smart Meatloaf
Meatloaf is good for a hot entrée, and it makes great sandwiches the next day. In fact, some say the true test of meatloaf is whether it makes good sandwiches! This one is packed with lean meat and oats for heart health.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. extra-lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and minced
- 3⁄4 cup oatmeal, quick or old-fashioned
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 Tbsp. prepared horseradish
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 1⁄4 cup ketchup, divided
- 1⁄4 cup tomato juice
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine beef, onion, carrot, oatmeal, egg substitute, horseradish, mustard, 1⁄4 cup ketchup, tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Thoroughly mix with your hands.
- Shape into a loaf. Place in a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Spread the remaining cup of ketchup over top of the loaf.
- Bake for 1 hour. Drain fat and juices. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.