Hearty Beef Stew
This heartwarming stew will leave you asking for seconds. If you like a thicker stew, add a bit more cornstarch.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose wheat-free flour
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 tsp. wheat-free Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. marjoram, dried
- 1 tsp. rosemary, dried
- 1 tsp. parsley, dried
- 3 large red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 large carrots, sliced and quartered
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. cold water
- Place the beef in a reseal able plastic bag along with flour, garlic, onion powder, and black pepper. Make sure the bag is closed and shake until meat is evenly coated.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, place olive oil and flour-coated beef and cook over medium heat until browned, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add broth, water, red wine, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir well and add marjoram, rosemary, and parsley. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir in potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and water. Add mixture to pot and stir in well.
- Cover again and simmer another 55 to 60 minutes, until potatoes soften. Serve immediately.