Hearty Gourmet Mushroom Soup
Mushroom varieties can be hard to come by. Regular button mushrooms will work, but if you have other types available, choose a handful of each to add to this recipe.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 1½ lbs. mushrooms, sliced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 quart water
- 2 Tbsp. miso paste
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- Place a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil, 1 tablespoon of butter, and the onion. Cook for 5 minutes until it is softened but not yet starting to brown. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring continually. Stir in the stock.
- Place a skillet over medium heat. Once it is heated, add 1 tablespoon of oil, 1 tablespoon of butter, and a handful of the sliced mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until they’ve reduced in size and are slightly browned. Remove from the skillet, transfer to the Dutch oven, and repeat with another batch of mushrooms.
- Add the water to the skillet and scrape the bottom of the pan. Pour the water into the Dutch oven. Add the miso paste and stir well until combined. Once the Dutch oven starts to simmer, reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Add the sesame oil and soy sauce.