Hearty Lentil and Sausage Soup
Any good sausage will do, but I prefer the French garlic sausage. If you cannot find this, substitute a good-quality kielbasa.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 oz. smoked sausage
- 2 Tbsp. butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small white onion, small diced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 5 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In the soup pot, cook the sausage over medium heat until well browned. Leave the fat in the pan. Remove sausage and slice into rounds. Return to pan.
- Add the butter or oil and heat on medium-high. Add the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and bay leaf. Sauté for about 3 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the lentils and stir well. Add the broth. Cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into warmed bowls.