Hearty Mushroom and Herb Stuffing
Vibrant vegetables and tons of mouth-watering mushrooms pack this stuffing with savory flavors that make ordinary stuffing extraordinary stuffing!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 package (16 oz.) sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped yellow or white onions
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 package (16 oz.) whole button mushrooms
- 2 tsp. ground sage
- 2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 8 slices stale 100% whole-wheat bread, torn
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine ½ tablespoon olive oil with sliced mushrooms, celery, and onions. Sauté for about 3–5 minutes, or until slightly softened. Add ½ cup stock and simmer until completely absorbed, about 5 minutes. Add the whole mushrooms to the skillet, and season with 1 teaspoon each sage, rosemary, basil, sea salt, and pepper. Add ¼ cup stock and sauté until vegetables are cooked through, about 5–7 minutes.
- In a large serving dish, toss the vegetable sauté (and all of the juices that remain) with the torn bread pieces. Add the remaining stock, olive oil, and spices to the stuffing and toss. Serve hot.