Hearty Mushroom Soup
Grind dried wild mushrooms in a food processor to create the mushroom powder called for in this recipe.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 4 cups button mushrooms, halved
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 2 tsp. wild mushroom powder
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. Madeira wine
- ½ cup heavy cream, at room temperature
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook the mushrooms, onions, and garlic for about 20 minutes or until the mixture seems thick. Add the salt, pepper, dry mustard, and mushroom powder; mix well. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock and Madeira; bring to a simmer. Allow the soup to cool slightly and then add the heavy cream very slowly, whisking constantly to ensure the cream does not separate or curdle. Return the pan to the heat and gently reheat, but do not boil, stirring until slightly thick. Serve immediately.