Hearty Oatmeal Bread
This whole-grain bread is delicious toasted and spread with whipped honey or jam.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 packages (1⁄4 oz.) active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup medium rye flour
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 3 to 4 cups bread flour
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- In small bowl, combine water and yeast; let stand until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan, combine honey, milk, oatmeal, salt, and canola oil. Heat just until very warm (about 120°F). Remove from heat and beat in egg.
- Combine in large bowl with whole-wheat flour, rye flour, flax seeds, and 1 cup bread flour. Add yeast mixture and beat for 1 minute. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Gradually stir in enough remaining bread flour to make a firm dough. Turn onto floured surface and knead until dough is elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour. Punch down dough, divide in half, and form into loaves. Place in greased 9-by-5-inch loaf pans, cover, and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush with butter, then remove to wire racks to cool.