Hearty Potato and Broccoli Soup
Adding broccoli to your potato soup is a great way to add vitamins (and flavor!) to your family meal.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- Heat butter in a stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add flour to the pan and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and stock, then whisk in the cream and milk. Add in the potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add broccoli and simmer 15 minutes more. Add the cheese, ½ cup at a time, and stir to melt after each addition. Serve immediately.