Hearty Stuffed Bell Peppers
For this stuffed peppers recipe, you can use red, green, orange, or yellow bell peppers and hot or mild salsa, according to your preference.
Serves: 5Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 large bell peppers
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked white rice
- 1 cup tomato salsa
- 1 can (14 1⁄2 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tsp. sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut the tops off of the bell peppers. Remove and reserve the tops. Scrape out the seeds and membranes in the peppers and discard.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook 5 minutes until translucent. Stir in the beef and cook 7 minutes more until brown. Drain the fat and stir in the rice, salsa, scallions, tomatoes, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, and sugar.
- Evenly fill the pepper cavities with the beef mixture, packing it lightly. Replace the pepper tops. Arrange the peppers upright in a baking dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 1 hour or until the peppers are tender but still hold their shape.