Heavenly Angel Food Cake
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 12 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Have ready a 10-inch tube pan.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour and confectioners’ sugar three times. In another bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar, salt, vanilla, and almond extract until stiff enough to hold soft, moist, glossy peaks. Beat in the granulated sugar 2 tablespoons at a time, continuing to beat until the whites hold stiff peaks. Sift about one-fourth of the flour mixture over the whites; fold in lightly just until no white streaks remain. Fold in the remaining flour mixture in four batches. Turn into the tube pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the cake springs back to the touch. Invert the cake in the pan onto a funnel or bottleneck and let cool completely.