Heavenly Half Moons
Serves: 30Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups dried pitted prunes
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 lb. store-bought pastry dough
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. rock sugar
- In a medium saucepan, combine the prunes, pineapple juice, lemon zest, and sugar. Place over medium-low heat, bring to a simmer, and cook until reduced to the consistency of a paste, about 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 3 portions. Working with 1 portion at a time and keeping the rest covered to prevent them from drying out, roll out the dough into a thin sheet. Using a cookie cutter 3 inches in diameter, cut out circles. Brush the edges of the circles with the egg white. Place ½ teaspoon of filling in the center of each circle. Fold over to form a half moon. Press firmly to seal the edges. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- In a large saucepan or a deep fryer, heat oil to 375°F on a deep-fat frying thermometer. Fry the half moons, 8 at a time, turning once, until golden brown on both sides. Using a slotted spoon, remove and let drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with the rock sugar while still warm.