Heavenly Hash Browns
The classic high-fat version of this breakfast staple gets a complete overhaul in this delicious hash brown recipe. By using clean, fresh ingredients and replacing the not-so-wonderful oils with a small amount of olive oil, you can enjoy every last bite of these healthful hash browns.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 medium Idaho potatoes, shredded
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. 100% whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Spray a large skillet with olive oil cooking spray and preheat over medium heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine shredded potatoes, onion, egg, flour, and garlic powder and mix until thoroughly blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Form potato mixture into dense patties, using 1⁄2 cup of the mixture for each patty.
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet and add 2 to 3 hash brown patties at a time. Cook 3–5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Flip patties and continue cooking until golden brown on both sides and completely cooked through.