Heirloom Tomato Puff Pastry
Sweet, luscious heirloom tomatoes and caramelized onions are nestled in flaky puff pastry. Use different types and colors of tomatoes for a striking presentation. It makes a great appetizer!
Serves: 16Hands-on: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package (17.3 oz.) vegan puff pastry, thawed
- 8 oz. vegan cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp. soymilk
- 1 tsp. sea salt, divided
- ½ tsp. cracked black pepper, divided
- 3 Tbsp. chopped basil
- 5 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 4 cups thinly sliced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1½ lbs. heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- Divide puff pastry dough in half. On a lightly oiled floured surface, roll each half of puff pastry dough to a 12" × 12" square. Cut 2 circles (6") from each square so that you have a total of 4 circles. Place the circles on parchment-lined baking sheets. With a sharp knife, make small score lines around each circle of dough, about ¼" from the edge to create a border. Dock the center area with the tines of a fork. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, soymilk, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Mix until smooth. Stir in basil. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Warm a large skillet over medium heat and add 3 tablespoons olive oil. When oil is hot, add the onions and the remaining salt and pepper. Sauté for 15 minutes; add garlic and sauté and additional 15 minutes, until onions are caramelized. Set aside.
- Spread 3–4 tablespoons cream cheese mixture on each pastry puff circle, being careful to stay within the ¼" border. Divide the onion mixture evenly between the four circles. Slice cherry tomatoes in half, or larger tomatoes into ¼" slices. Arrange tomatoes on top of onion mixture. If using cherry tomatoes, place cut side up. Brush tomatoes and edges of dough with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with additional sea salt and cracked pepper if desired.
- Bake tarts until puff pastry is golden brown, about 20–25 minutes. Cool 10–15 minutes. Cut into quarters to serve.