Serve these Italian-influenced stuffed tomatoes with a simple salad for an easy, light meal.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 4 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh oregano
- 4 Tbsp. minced fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- ¾ cup water
- Slice the top quarter off each tomato and reserve. Cut out the core of each tomato and discard. Scoop out the seeds, leaving the walls of the tomato intact.
- In a small bowl, stir together the quinoa, celery, garlic, oregano, parsley, and fennel seeds. Divide into four even portions, and stuff one portion into the center of each tomato.
- Place the filled tomatoes in a single layer in a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. Return the tops to the tomatoes, and pour the water into the bottom of the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours.